Noone expected Typhoon Ondoy to turn out this way. Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana) was only signal number 1, the lowest storm signal. But, it dumped a month's worth of rain in 6 hours.
It rained hard on Friday and did not stop until late Saturday evening. Rivers around Metro Manila rose and water dams overflowed. The situation was exacerbated by blocked drainages and erosion from nearby mountains. Massive flood around Metro Manila resulted. In areas near rivers or creeks, waters reached 20 feet high! People were stranded on their rooftops waiting for rescue. However, since roads were not passable, it took time to provide help. It was painful to watch the news reporting children on the rooftops drenched by the heavy rains and going for several days without food or clean water. The typhoon left many without homes and over two hundred people dead.
Our family was spared. We consider ourselves lucky than most people. While water did come in our house, it was not that high and we had sufficient time to move our things to the second floor. We were stranded on the second floor for about a day but we were safe and warm and had food and water. I think Charlie had fun playing with his toys and sleeping on our beds.
It would take time to help all those affected and rebuild that which had been damaged. But, I believe in the resiliency of the Filipinos, tested by countless calamities like this one. For now, though, we need help. If you have something extra you could donate - food, used clothing, blankets, anything you can spare - please course them through the numerous organizations helping Filipinos get through this challenge.
Thank you,
Charlie's mom



6 comments:
We are relieved to see woo are okay -
We've read of the horrible event on Aki's blog and followed it on the news -
Paws khrossed fur the khlean up to go well and fur the weather to khooperate as well -
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
Charlie,
I'm so glad you're ok! I hope everything gets straightened out there quickly so people can get back to their homes. Storms like that are so scary!
Pedro
Charlie, we were so worried. Glad you and your family are ok. How horrible that so many were displaced and lost so much! Hopefully the world community will step in and help provide much needed assistance...know that we will help in our own small way. Is your next door friend safe as well?
We are so sad to hear about all the flooding and so glad that you are all ok. We will see which organizations we can send things to.
Love,
Teddy Bear
Thank you so much everyone.
Siku: Myra is safe too. Their house was flooded as well and they stayed on the second floor of their house also. We were conversing with each other all night while we were trapped. I was trying to make sure she was okay. :)
Pong's (our pet turtle) terrarium was outside and flipped over. She was lost for a couple of hours but was found the next day exploring the street in front of our house. She was returned by the nieghbor Sunday morning.
Love,
Charlie
Hi, Charlie's Mom!
I am so happy to know you are well!
I was scared when I saw the news!
I hope everything goes well and everything goes back to normal soon!
Paws crossed!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
Post a Comment