Celebrating the new year in the Philippines is not just about parties, it is also a way to revisit customs and traditions meant to attract good fortune for the coming year. These traditions show the strong Chinese influence in our customs.
It is traditional to put together 12 different sweet fruits. One fruit for each month. It means that the family will have good fortune for the rest of the year.
It is also customary to serve or give away this cake made from glutinuous rice to symbolize family togetherness. Red (my favorite!) is also the predominant color, which according to Chinese beliefs, brings good luck and prosperity.

A few days before the New Year, one could already hear fire crackers popping. But, near midnight, it can be REALLY LOUD. My mom wanted to take pictures of the firecrackers and the fireworks but it was very dangerous to go out the streets, unless one wants to get injured. These firecrackers are meant to bring good luck and scare away bad spirits.
It used to frighten me a lot and I would hide behind my mom during New Year's eve. But, now it did not really bother me, except at midnight, when our nieghbors fired one really big noisemaker called Sawa. It was deafeningly loud and I could not take it, so I hid under the table. But, it wasn't scary enough to wipe the goofy smile off my face.
The next day, relatives came and we celebrated with food, music and games. For me, family togetherness is really the best tradition brought by the new year. Happy New Year to all!



10 comments:
Happy 2010 to ALL of WOO!
Tank woo fur sharing the khustoms and traditions of your region!
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
Charlie, that is a bootiful picture of you in your red bandanna with your goofy smile. I think that is a perfect picture to make a card out of :-) Just an idea for you in case you feel like being creative.
Thanks for sharing your New Year traditions with us. Does this mean you are ALSO going to celebrate Chinese New Year? Which is more important?
Happy New Year Charlie and Family!
Thanks for sharing your traditions!
I wish you all the best!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
What wonderful traditions you have! I don't like fireworks either, but we only had them for a few minutes at midnight. Hope the family party was a celebration of togetherness, love and plenty.
Happy New Year, Charlie! I hope you enjoyed your feast of 12 fruits. I love family traditions! We barked and barked at the fireworks.
Love,
Teddy Bear
Hi Charlie - happy new year! We're sorry you got a bit scared by one of the loud noises, luckily you had your mom there to look after you! We look forward to hearing about your adventures in 2010! Schnauzer snuggles - JD and Max.ge
Did you make any resolutions for the new year?
Hi Charlie,
Hope things are going well. Just wanted yu to know that I am thinking of you.
Hi Charlie. Hope you are off to a good start in the new year!
There is a new dog on the block. His name is Cappy and he is an eskie. He's a little eskie with a lot of bark. Hana met him last year in July.
Hi Charlie!
What is new?
Post a Comment